The Hay Fever Injection
There are now a whole host of over-the-counter hay fever treatments available, which can be used to good effect. However, around 10% of sufferers do not respond to conventional treatment, so may consider an injection to help them get through the season.
Hay fever injections – the facts:
- The injection is for the treatment of severe hay fever, and should be considered as a second stage of treatment for patients who have already tried and had little relief from other forms of medication.
- The injection does not cure hay fever, it temporarily suppresses the immune system enough to take away the symptoms in most people who need it.
- The injection belongs to a group of medicines called corticosteroids (steroids) which are commonly used for many serious medical conditions.
- The patient is injected in the buttock muscle and it takes just a few seconds.
- One injection can be enough to last for a whole hay fever season.
- Not suitable for children under the age of 12.
I think I could benefit from a Hay fever injection, what should I do next?
Before having the injection for the first time, one of our doctors will firstly assess your current hay fever symptom management, and carry out a quick medical assessment to make sure it is suitable for you. If you are a suitable candidate, the injection can be carried out during the appointment.